Monday, April 16, 2007

Revisiting the Lenten Resolution

My attempt to simplify my life this Lent was to start using the slowcooker. I am still in search of finding slow cooker recipes that please my palate, but the expirement was a success. The girls appreciated being able to have my attention during the witching hour of need and I appreciated the fact that slow cooker meals are so huge that they generally could be spread over 2-3 nights. So, by using the slow cooker twice a week, I generally took care of 4-6 meals that I could change up nightly by various easy to prepare side dishes. It was great! I'm continuing this quest for simplification by adding to the week Cook & Freeze meals (you know, like bake two meatloafs at one time, eating one and freezing the other for later in the month). So, my goal is to only cook 3 nights a week using Slow Cooker and Cook & Freeze meals, building the other weekly dinners off leftovers.

Now, note that we generally only ate vegetarian meals and not vegan because of my pregnancy, so these may not work as Lenten meals for all of you, but the top family favorites during lent were:

1. Jen's chickpea curry
2. Betty Crocker's slowcooker lasagna (meat ommitted)
3. any chili recipe!
4. This egg casserole recipe my MIL sent me (broccoli can be subsituted and I used sauteed onion instead of green onions and cheddar cheese instead of American):

prysnac serbia (broccoli casserole)
1-10 ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
6 eggs, beaten
1 24-ounce carton cottage cheese (creamed, small curd)
6 tablespoons flour
8 ounces american cheese, diced
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 green onions, chopped
salt to taste

quickly thaw frozen broccoli by placing in a colander and holding under hot running water. separate the pieces with a fork, drain well. combine broccoli with all remaining ingredients in a large bowl and beat until well blended. pour into greased crockpot. cover and cook in high 1 hour, then on low 2 to 4 hours. stir after the first hour. serves 4 to 6

No comments: